AMC 20 & Dana 30 Gearing Questions

Post here for all your technical questions or comments. - Jeep Only
DrDirt
MIJC Member: Yes
Full Name: John Bruder

AMC 20 & Dana 30 Gearing Questions

Post by DrDirt »

OK, I've asked this before, and instead of writing it down, I always forget:
What is the cutoff on gear ratios where the carriers have to be changed?, ie, can I put 4:10 gears on a carrier that currently has 3:54's ? Do the AMC 20 and Dana 30 carriers have different cutoffs for gearing?
2018 Rubicon JL 2 dr, 1947 CJ2A Street Cruiser, 1983 CJ7 The Original Dr. Dirt, 1982 CJ8 Scrambler / Home - Rural Metamora, Ill [/color]/
letsroll

Post by letsroll »

for dana 30 and 35 it is 3.55 and down. So you need a 3.73 up carrier for the 4:10s. Do not know about the 20.
letsroll

Post by letsroll »

BTW I have a complete carrier for a 3:73 up dana 30. Cheap!
Mudbug

Post by Mudbug »

Can't you use 'thick gears' for the dana 30 and use the 3.73 carrier to run 4:10?
letsroll

Post by letsroll »

Yes you can use the thick gears to compensate. I had assumed he already had gears. But if not, then the little extra for the thick gears is probably a cheap alternative to buying new carriers. Used open carriers should be very cheap though if gears are already purchased. BTW Dr. Dirt, I may have been wrong when I told you my carrier would not work for you. Seems there is conflicting info on whether and TJ and CJ carrier will interchange. I would check with Randy's gear whereas they are the most reliable and quick to respond of the gear vendors out there that I have worked with.